Political Forum. Opinions and Debates.

Log in | Registration
Go to the first message← Previous page
Next page →Go to the last message

Figure skating, ballet, music etc 2

  Grin
25771


Messages: 7073
20:51 08.02.2019
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> Well, strictly speaking a bitch is «suka», isn't it? Like a female dog/animal, «sterva» I would translate as «a mean, evil woman». «Bitch» or «suka» are swear words in both languages. «A mean, evil woman» — is not a swear phrase, it is just offensive. Both are inappropriate to use in that situation in my view. I got to go now, speak later.
quoted1
I agree a coach should choose his words very carefully when he publicly speaks about his students. I guess Daniil wanted to say that Alena is ambitious, impulsive and passionate person and he likes it. But he said what he said. You know Eteri has many haters in Russia and abroad, they are trying to portray her as a heartless b*cht who rides her students to death. And that inaccurate words by Daniil contributed to that myth, unfortunately.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
21:04 08.02.2019
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
>> Well, strictly speaking a bitch is «suka», isn't it? Like a female dog/animal, «sterva» I would translate as «a mean, evil woman». «Bitch» or «suka» are swear words in both languages. «A mean, evil woman» — is not a swear phrase, it is just offensive. Both are inappropriate to use in that situation in my view. I got to go now, speak later.
quoted2
>I agree a coach should choose his words very carefully when he publicly speaks about his students. I guess Daniil wanted to say that Alena is ambitious, impulsive and passionate person and he likes it. But he said what he said. You know Eteri has many haters in Russia and abroad, they are trying to portray her as a heartless b*cht who rides her students to death. And that inaccurate words by Daniil contributed to that myth, unfortunately.
quoted1

Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
>> Well, strictly speaking a bitch is «suka», isn't it? Like a female dog/animal, «sterva» I would translate as «a mean, evil woman». «Bitch» or «suka» are swear words in both languages. «A mean, evil woman» — is not a swear phrase, it is just offensive. Both are inappropriate to use in that situation in my view. I got to go now, speak later.
quoted2
>I agree a coach should choose his words very carefully when he publicly speaks about his students. I guess Daniil wanted to say that Alena is ambitious, impulsive and passionate person and he likes it. But he said what he said. You know Eteri has many haters in Russia and abroad, they are trying to portray her as a heartless b*cht who rides her students to death. And that inaccurate words by Daniil contributed to that myth, unfortunately.
quoted1
Who is he by nationality? German perhaps or Dutch? They are a lot ruder in general in expressing themselves than the English. The Americans are also ruder and much more direct. In England it is a bit different. The language is like a theatre of sorts, sometimes even those expressions that don't sound that rude to a foreigner can be taken here as offensive.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
21:05 08.02.2019
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
>> I got to go now, speak later.
>>
quoted2
>See you
>
> P. S. What do you think about Yagin's «Man in the iron mask»? Did you like it?
quoted1

I haven't watched it yet, will do later on and comment.
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7073
21:15 08.02.2019
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> Who is he by nationality? German perhaps or Dutch? They are a lot ruder in general in expressing themselves than the English. The Americans are also ruder and much more direct. In England it is a bit different. The language is like a theatre of sorts, sometimes even those expressions that don't sound that rude to a foreigner can be taken here as offensive.
quoted1
He is Russia-born German.



I know that English people are polite to the point it sometimes looks ridiculus (for me). One of my friends works in international company. His boss is a Brit. My friend once showed me his conversation with him. It was like
friend — hi, did you see my reply?
boss - hi… Great!… Wrong reply, you need to … blah blah
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7073
21:23 08.02.2019
Redhead (Expat),
And one more fact about Alena. When you watch her skating she looks like a gracious lady. But in fact she is a little girl and a ball of sunshine.
You can see it in this video (watch from 5:12)


P.S. Alexei Yagudin is commenting this vid
Liked: Redhead
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
21:31 08.02.2019
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
Expand message beginning

> friend — hi, did you see my reply?
> boss — hi… Great!… Wrong reply, you need to … blah blah
>
quoted1

He looks like a kind and open guy, so probably meant it well. But you have to be careful when it comes to promoting your team, publicity, etc.

Re — the English — with them it is like a theatre — a lot of «reverancing «(curtsying), dressing things up when talking. But after one has lived here for a while, one gets to realize — a lot of it is just a habitual form of expression and doesn't necessarily mean that what is being said to you is a good thing. Sometimes — the most devastating news can be delivered to you in the most polite manner. You get used to the theatre and how to interpret the underlying meaning of what is being said to you. It is just when one hears others speaking English (Germans, Americans, Dutch, etc) and all the directness — it sometimes stands out as rudeness and abruptness, cause you are just not used to it anymore. Look at how Jacob Rees Mogg talks for instance - what an utterly polite manner, but he is very firm in delivering the meaning and the content and rebuffs all the criticisms very easily. Boris Johnson is similar. Amongst Eurosceptics Jacob Rees Mogg is called «asbestos» in that sense.
It is also to do with the fact that England is where the language originated so it is a lot richer here in terms of expressions and one can always find a more polite equivalent whilst expressing the content just as strongly. This is called «assertiveness, but not aggressiveness».
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7073
21:37 08.02.2019
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> He looks like a kind and open guy, so probably meant it well. But you have to be careful when it comes to promoting your team, publicity, etc.
quoted1
You are talking about my friend? Well, we know each other for more than 15 years and he didn't showed me any secret data. They exchanged a few words with his boss. But I know he shouldn't show it to me.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
21:39 08.02.2019
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
>> He looks like a kind and open guy, so probably meant it well. But you have to be careful when it comes to promoting your team, publicity, etc.
quoted2
>You are talking about my friend? Well, we know each other for more than 15 years and he didn't showed me any secret data. They exchanged a few words with his boss. But I know he shouldn't show it to me.
quoted1

I was talking about the coach obviously.
Really got to go now, will watch your videos later on. Have a nice evening).
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7073
21:41 08.02.2019
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> Have a nice evening).
quoted1
Have a nice evening too)
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
13:19 09.02.2019
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
>> I got to go now, speak later.
>>
quoted2
>See you
>
> P. S. What do you think about Yagin's «Man in the iron mask»? Did you like it?
quoted1

Yeah, it is fantastic. So artistic, it;s unreal.
Liked: Grin
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
13:40 09.02.2019
I am ill with a horrible flu. There is a performance in my daughter's drama school today — everyone went to watch, and I could as well — I took some medicines, but there will be lots of kids and parents there and this flu is very contagious. My husband can't catch it, he's got a very important business trip coming up on Monday, so he is wearing a face mask at home and rubs his hands with alcohol gel each time after he's been anywhere near me. The kids are staying away from me as well. I feel like a pariah (complete outcast), it is depressing. Watching some comedy on Dave at the moment to try and cheer myself up.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
13:55 09.02.2019
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> ⍟ Redhead (Expat),
> And one more fact about Alena. When you watch her skating she looks like a gracious lady. But in fact she is a little girl and a ball of sunshine.
> You can see it in this video (watch from 5:12)
quoted1

It is an iconic performance, cause everything comes together beautifully — the skating, the music, etc. It seems to me — a skater can be as technically superb as possible, but that doesn't mean an iconic performance and can be quickly forgotten regardless of the technical abilities demonstrated — complicated jumping techniques, etc. And some performances are iconic and you can watch them again and again without getting bored with them — like Yagudin's «Winter» or this. This is what we call «classic».
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7073
14:52 09.02.2019
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> I am ill with a horrible flu. There is a performance in my daughter's drama school today — everyone went to watch, and I could as well — I took some medicines, but there will be lots of kids and parents there and this flu is very contagious. My husband can't catch it, he's got a very important business trip coming up on Monday, so he is wearing a face mask at home and rubs his hands with alcohol gel each time after he's been anywhere near me. The kids are staying away from me as well. I feel like a pariah (complete outcast), it is depressing. Watching some comedy on Dave at the moment to try and cheer myself up.
quoted1
Get well. I'll try to find some interesting vidoes to cheer you up!
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16334
14:56 09.02.2019
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
>> I am ill with a horrible flu. There is a performance in my daughter's drama school today — everyone went to watch, and I could as well — I took some medicines, but there will be lots of kids and parents there and this flu is very contagious. My husband can't catch it, he's got a very important business trip coming up on Monday, so he is wearing a face mask at home and rubs his hands with alcohol gel each time after he's been anywhere near me. The kids are staying away from me as well. I feel like a pariah (complete outcast), it is depressing. Watching some comedy on Dave at the moment to try and cheer myself up.
quoted2
>Get well. I'll try to find some interesting vidoes to cheer you up!
quoted1

Thanks, off to bed now — trying so sleep it off.
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7073
14:56 09.02.2019
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
>> ⍟ Redhead (Expat),
>> And one more fact about Alena. When you watch her skating she looks like a gracious lady. But in fact she is a little girl and a ball of sunshine.
>> You can see it in this video (watch from 5:12)
quoted2
>
> It is an iconic performance, cause everything comes together beautifully — the skating, the music, etc. It seems to me — a skater can be as technically superb as possible, but that doesn't mean an iconic performance and can be quickly forgotten regardless of the technical abilities demonstrated — complicated jumping techniques, etc. And some performances are iconic and you can watch them again and again without getting bored with them — like Yagudin's «Winter» or this. This is what we call «classic».
quoted1
Yes, I wasn't quite honest when I said that next big competitions will be junior worlds, 4 continents championships is going right now and technially it is a big competition, some talented skaters take part in it, but you will hardly see there something that you'll want to rewatch again and again.
Link Complain Quote  
Go to the first message← Previous page
Next page →Go to the last message

Return to the list of threads


Username
Thread:
B I U S cite spoiler
Message:(0/500)
More Emoticons
        
Forums
Main discussion
En/Ru discussion new
Russian forum
Users online
Translate the page
Figure skating, ballet, music etc 2. I agree a coach should choose his words very carefully when he publicly speaks about his ...
.
© PolitForums.net 2019 | Our e-mail:
Mobile version