Political Forum. Opinions and Debates.

Log in | Registration
Go to the first message← Previous page
Next page →Go to the last message

Figure skating, ballet, music etc 2

  Grin
25771


Messages: 7058
17:14 24.05.2018
Best comment about recent urgent proposal to raise age limit to seniors from 15 to 17

I love how this is being presented under the guise of some dire need for «maturity», and something something «longevity», something something concern for athletes' health blah blah blah, when it’s basically a thinly veiled attempt to undermine all the success the Russian ladies are having. I actually think it’d be good to have such a rule simply because of that other dumb rule where they can only send 3, and cutting down the competition at the senior level will give skaters who would otherwise be outcompeted by talented youngsters at home a chance to shine on the world stage. But if all they wanted to do is stop the teenage wave sweeping the ladies field, it’s wayyy too late at this point. A lot of those medal snatchers are going to flood the senior level soon anyway… if not this season, then the next. And not just from Russia either. Heck, it’s already happened. Just look at who’s the Olympic Champion.

If they really wanted this to work, it should have happened as soon as Evgenia started obliterating the competition as a junior, if not earlier. They’ve had warning signs aplenty, including that one Japanese girl with the insane 3A combos. Also, 17 is thrown around a lot and is a stupidly arbitrary number. What makes a 16 year old any less «mature» than. 17 year old? Do we banish the Olympic Champion from senior competitions cause uh… she wins too much? Lol. Okay so maybe she gets a pass cause we love her right now, but what if some other 15 year old comes a long and wins Worlds right before this takes effect? Do we go nah, actually you weren’t good enough for this level even though you outscored 2nd place by 30 points, go back to juniors lol. Mao was also a victim of this kind of rule too. At 15, was she also not worthy of a shot at Olympic gold (I know she got hers later but that’s not the point)?

I mean, I don’t necessarily disagree with adjusting the age limit if there is a legitimate, proven reason as to why it must be done, but when the intention and timing is so unabashedly tied to ulterior motives as is the case here, it just makes those asking for a change look petty and silly. Petty because they are obviously butthurt that their chosen skaters are simply being outskated by the (objectively) superior athletes, and silly because this is a half-assed proposal that won’t even get them the desired results. Damn, love her or hate her, Eteri has taken up free rent in all of these peoples' heads. Pathetic.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
20:30 24.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> How did you guess I was referring to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II?
quoted1

Because you posted her picture there. What a silly question that was.
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Yes, some of them are blunt, it is hard to find «smart» funny pictures. And I'm not invested in this enough to draw them myself.
quoted1

If they are blunt, don't bother posting them as they make you look stupid.
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> As you say, one should be able to criticise politicians. Queen Elizabeth is a political figure and head of your state, so I was inspired by your words.
> I know, I know. She is also head of your Church. I think one should be able to speak freely about head of any church (like people in Russia can speak freely about patriarch Kirill).
quoted1

I thought I explained it to you already — she stays out of politics, she is a formal Head of State, she doesn't make any political decisions and she does not even express a political opinion. She does receive politicians on State visits, but only if the Government decides for her to do so. Most of the Royal Family's duties here is charity. And yes, she is Head of our Church. Also — she just deserves respect.
Above all - for me this is personal. My daughter attends a ballet school which is sponsored by the Royal Family directly and where their relatives are patrons of the school. So when you use such offensive language re the Queen, you are actually indirectly insulting my family — my daughter for one, who is being brought up to adore the Queen. So — it is up to you of course, but I won't feel like talking to you if you continue to do it.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
20:44 24.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
Expand message beginning

>
> My friend believes Navalny chances are real, but not within the system. It should be broken and rebuild from anew. He also believes we should support any opposition. I think we should support it only if it is worthy to be supported. And we don't have the luxury of building system anew, because millions of people will be in poverty again and we will fail anyway (like Ukraine is failing now). To many corrupted people are in power. And so called major geopolitical players won't allow it.
> What happened when Yeltsin used tanks against his own parliament?
quoted1

Did you actually bother to read my post? No one proposes for you to have a revolution in Russia or anything of the kind. You can change the system by supporting the opposition — true opposition. It is inadequate, because democracy in your country is inadequate. The more people support the opposition — the quicker the system will be transformed. That is why your friend is not naive, but in fact — much smarter than yourself, as at this stage — supporting any opposition is the right thing to do. It just is. Those who support the totalitarian set up are the ones who put your country at risk of the revolution, not the other way around. It is dictatorships, where there are no democratic ways of changing power — end up having revolutions and maidans and things like that, not the other way around. Supporting opposition does not mean it will win — in your country it won't at this stage. But it will get stronger as the time goes by. As the opposition become on a par with those who are in power (as far as possible of course, like in the UK for example) — then support whoever you like.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
20:44 24.05.2018
I got to go now quickly, will answer the rest a bit later.
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7058
21:48 24.05.2018
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> If they are blunt, don't bother posting them as they make you look stupid.
quoted1
I'm okay with that.

Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> Because you posted her picture there. What a silly question that was.
quoted1
https://www.politforums.net/redir/ukraine/142465...
She is nowere near on that page, but okay.

Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> I thought I explained it to you already — she stays out of politics, she is a formal Head of State, she doesn't make any political decisions and she does not even express a political opinion. She does receive politicians on State visits, but only if the Government decides for her to do so. Most of the Royal Family's duties here is charity. And yes, she is Head of our Church. Also — she just deserves respect.
> Above all — for me this is personal. My daughter attends a ballet school which is sponsored by the Royal Family directly and where their relatives are patrons of the school. So when you use such offensive language re the Queen, you are actually indirectly insulting my family — my daughter for one, who is being brought up to adore the Queen. So — it is up to you of course, but I won't feel like talking to you if you continue to do it.
quoted1

Oh, you remind me my mom now. She worked for Lukoil for years
http://www.lukoil.com
Their HR spend a lot of time explaining to their employees how good their main shareholder is (Alekperov https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagit_Alekperov). How much money he spends on charity, etc. She was ready to kill for him.
She feels better now)
But, since it's personal for you lets drop this subject (the Queen).
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7058
22:06 24.05.2018
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> Did you actually bother to read my post? No one proposes for you to have a revolution in Russia
quoted1
It's not about your post. My friend keeps telling me that elecions are all fake and fraud so it can't be helped and only Maidan like thing will help us. I do know what Navalny's followers are up to. To be fair he thinks that it will happen when corrupted officials push common people to their limits. Btw, he doesn't look like a person pushed to his limits (he has a nice family, decent salary, twice a year he travels to Europe.

Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> The more people support the opposition — the quicker the system will be transformed.
quoted1
I do belive the system can be transformed without revolution.

Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> That is why your friend is not naive, but in fact — much smarter than yourself, as at this stage — supporting any opposition is the right thing to do. It just is. Those who support the totalitarian set up are the ones who put your country at risk of the revolution, not the other way around.
quoted1
Of course he is naive. He thinks Navalny is a decent man. And many other funny things.
Again, there is no sense in supporting clowns who yell «we are opposition». They are just bunch of clown which are allowed to exist for some reasons. Supporting Navalny won't make Russia any good. He is just making money on fools. I'll wait till something more serious will appear. This will probably happen after Putin quits.

gtg now, cya)
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
22:45 24.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
Expand message beginning

> If they really wanted this to work, it should have happened as soon as Evgenia started obliterating the competition as a junior, if not earlier. They’ve had warning signs aplenty, including that one Japanese girl with the insane 3A combos. Also, 17 is thrown around a lot and is a stupidly arbitrary number. What makes a 16 year old any less «mature» than. 17 year old? Do we banish the Olympic Champion from senior competitions cause uh… she wins too much? Lol. Okay so maybe she gets a pass cause we love her right now, but what if some other 15 year old comes a long and wins Worlds right before this takes effect? Do we go nah, actually you weren’t good enough for this level even though you outscored 2nd place by 30 points, go back to juniors lol. Mao was also a victim of this kind of rule too. At 15, was she also not worthy of a shot at Olympic gold (I know she got hers later but that’s not the point)?
>
> I mean, I don’t necessarily disagree with adjusting the age limit if there is a legitimate, proven reason as to why it must be done, but when the intention and timing is so unabashedly tied to ulterior motives as is the case here, it just makes those asking for a change look petty and silly. Petty because they are obviously butthurt that their chosen skaters are simply being outskated by the (objectively) superior athletes, and silly because this is a half-assed proposal that won’t even get them the desired results. Damn, love her or hate her, Eteri has taken up free rent in all of these peoples' heads. Pathetic.
quoted1

You know, looking at all this as an outsider — one has to be incredibly passionate re figure skating or in fact a bit nuts (like I was when I was into PriceScope and other American jewelry forums) — to go so much into — literally — the minutiae
( https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/engl... ) of detail re all these things. It's madness, it's a crazy forum.
Ultimately — everyone knows that countries like Russia, Canada — Russia especially — have always been the best in figure skating, it's their «thing». And they will be going forward — what's there to kill yourselves over? Some things are just the way they are and that's that.
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
22:53 24.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
Expand message beginning

> Their HR spend a lot of time explaining to their employees how good their main shareholder is (Alekperov https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagit_Alekperov). How much money he spends on charity, etc. She was ready to kill for him.
> She feels better now)
> But, since it's personal for you lets drop this subject (the Queen).
quoted1

Thank you. However, the comparison of Lukoil head to the Queen is a bit on the tawdry side, but I guess you mean well.

Re - your friend. He might be naive in the sense that he thinks that your current opposition can stir a revolution, but he is on the right path. Your opposition could do with some public support to get stronger. And it will be a great thing for your country if it does.
See you)
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
23:12 24.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Again, there is no sense in supporting clowns who yell «we are opposition». They are just bunch of clown which are allowed to exist for some reasons. Supporting Navalny won't make Russia any good. He is just making money on fools. I'll wait till something more serious will appear. This will probably happen after Putin quits.
quoted1

One more thing. You missed the meaning of my post. You don't have a set up whereby «something serious» can actually appear. That's the whole point. For something «serious» to appear — one has to have the same access to all the things those in power have — like mainstream press, right to protests, etc. etc. At the moment — Navalniy and people like that — are just putting up a fight against the set up in general. It's a poor fight, but it is a start. Nothing will change for the better if people just sit around and accept things as they are.
If Navalny and people like that are really hopeless, then I don't envy you. You are heading for another «zastoy"/revolution / perestroika et cettera — again. Russia deserves better.
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7058
09:43 25.05.2018
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> You know, looking at all this as an outsider — one has to be incredibly passionate re figure skating or in fact a bit nuts (like I was when I was into PriceScope and other American jewelry forums) — to go so much into — literally — the minutiae
> (https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio nary/engl... ) of detail re all these things. It's madness, it's a crazy forum.
> Ultimately — everyone knows that countries like Russia, Canada — Russia especially — have always been the best in figure skating, it's their «thing». And they will be going forward — what's there to kill yourselves over? Some things are just the way they are and that's that.
quoted1
It's not a minutiae at all. Let me tell you some basics.
Russia is kinda outsider among big skating federations in men, dance and so-so in pairs. Only Russian ladies dominate the scene.
And among Russian ladies only Eteri's ladies are unbeatable. Her winning strategy is based on 15−17 yo girls who can do stuff that others cannot. When one girl becomes 18 (like Medvedeva) she is replaced by another girl (Zagitova) who will be replaced by Trusova (who is already stronger than Zagitova), then Akatieva will replace Trusova and so on. If you cut of 15 and 16 yo girls from senior competitions it kinda ruins Eteri's general plan.
Boys are late bloomers and usually turn seniors at the age of 18, so that change won't affect them.

Speaking about nuts, this is a funny thread called
«You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When…»
https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?729...
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
09:46 25.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
>> Putin's propaganda feeds off the Soviet mentality, whereby people see «stability» as having a totalitarian set up and that is not good for the country at this stage.
quoted2
>You will be surprised but many people in Russia with Soviet mentality aren't fond of Putin at all. Their voices became especially loud after Grudinin was chosen to represent communists. Not because they love Grudinin so much, but because it is really hard to support/promote Zyuganov.
quoted1

Re mentality. What I meant. Soviet mentality is not so much about supporting Putin, Zyuganov, Grudinin or whoever — it is just an overall damaged mentality, whereby people just support a totalitarian set up and see it as some form of stability. It is not surprising that in Russia that kind of mentality prevails, because the core generation of people are people who used to live in or vividly remember the times when the Soviet Union collapsed, then there was a lot of poverty, changes, adversity, etc. In the Soviet Union people were made to accept everything from above and not ask any questions — this is what those people know, they don't know any different. When Perestroyka, etc. happened — they got the freedom, but they had no clue as to how to use it, what to do with it. In the West — the mentality is different. People are not afraid of changes — continuous changes, they know their rights and they stand up for them. The reason there are no revolutions and maidans in the developed world is not just the fact that the standard of living is better, but the system whereby people's rights are respected and things continuously change — politicians, ideas, etc — works like clockwork. It is the system where both people and those in power know their «red lines». I will give you an example. Take London riots for instance in 2011





During London riots — people went out into the streets in droves and just started literally — smashing London — breaking shop windows, stealing things, setting houses, businesses, cars — on fire, etc. It was unbelievable. The police didn't know how to handle it — they just did nothing, they were in fact shit scared. It was August, so the main politicians like Cameron and Johnson and Clegg were all on holidays, so Westminster did nothing either. All hell broke loose. Literally.
Later on — when it all blew over, they analysed those riots for ages on the telly — what happened? what were the reasons? how on Earth it could have happened in one of the richest countries in the world? And the answer was — for a year prior to that we had a huge corruption expenses scandal in Parliament — MPs claimed expenses that they shouldn't have — second properties, holidays, their relatives' housing, even sheep shearing on farms or even porno films. They literally took a piss with public money and it went on — on a mega scale in the House of Commons — most MPs were involved in one way or another. In the eyes of the public — they crossed the red line. The public responded with the same — by crossing the red line. It later turned out — that a lot of MPs just used a loophole in the legislation re (when I put «re» — it's short for «regarding «by the way) expenses. The law was amended since then. Since then — even a hint of someone in Parliament misusing funds gets that person sacked. No one dares going down that road anymore. No one here would have ever put up with the set up they have in Russia you see. But one needs the will of the people to change it, nothing will happen on its own. I am not saying there has to be a revolution (although — people here are not afraid of revolutions, probably that is why they never happen — ironically enough), there are other ways. But if one sits around and just waits for something great to happen — it never will. There will be regression instead. So people like Navalny etc — are of course not perfect but they deserve respect just for doing at least something, just for plain old dissent.







Liked: bell2
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7058
10:16 25.05.2018
Redhead (Expat) wrote in reply to post:
> Re mentality. What I meant. Soviet mentality is not so much about supporting Putin, Zyuganov, Grudinin or whoever — it is just an overall damaged mentality, whereby people just support a totalitarian set up and see it as some form of stability. It is not surprising that in Russia that kind of mentality prevails, because the core generation of people are people who used to live in or vividly remember the times when the Soviet Union collapsed, then there was a lot of poverty, changes, adversity, etc. In the Soviet Union people were made to accept everything from above and not ask any questions — this is what those people know, they don't know any different. When Perestroyka, etc. happened — they got the freedom, but they had no clue as how to use it, what to do with it. In the West — the mentality is different. People are not afraid of changes — continuous changes, they know their rights and they stand up for them. The reason there are no revolutions and maidans in the developed world is not just the fact that the standard of living is better, but the system whereby people's rights are respected and things continuously change — politicians, ideas, etc — works like clockwork. It is the system where both people and those in power know their «red lines». I will give you an example. Take London riots for instance in 2011
quoted1
Thanks for the explanation, but there is one thing which differs Russia and Britain.
In case of some serious mess (like that in 2011 in London) no foreign major power will try to interfere and use it to torn your country apart.

Ukraine under Yanukovych wasn't a dictatorship, not even close. Probably they were most democratic country in CIS.

Media could speak freely about Yanukovych. Parliament wasn't his toy and so on. But it happened.
If we look at Ukraine today, journalists are oppressed and jailed for their point of view, people become poorer, millions live in fear and so on. Poroshenko's rating of approval is 15% now (Yanukovych had 30% when he had to run for his life). No revolution. Only small crowds protest in Kiev from time to time.

As far as I remember «suddenly» there was a major protest in Czech Republic after their president refused to obey US ambassador (Czech president wanted to visit Moscow on 9th May). Czech Republic is a democratic state but it was close.

So, Russians have to take into account all this. That's why many Russians forgive Putin for taking away their right to protest.
I don't agree with that, but I understand their logic.
Liked: bell2
Link Complain Quote  
  Grin
25771


Messages: 7058
10:30 25.05.2018
Redhead (Expat),
Btw, I'm curious about modern ballet.
Last name I remember is Uliana Lopatkina


Any new stars today? Who is your fave atm?
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
20:41 25.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
Expand message beginning

> Speaking about nuts, this is a funny thread called
> "You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When…"
> https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?729...
quoted1

Oh, I see. Still I don't see a big deal. Going forward, the Russians will come up with some other ideas to overcome that age rule or whatever. If one looks at the overall picture of things — countries like Russia and Canada will always be the best in this sport. Well — let's face it, it will never be Britain.
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> Speaking about nuts, this is a funny thread called
> "You Know You're a Figure Skating Fan When…"
> https://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?729...
quoted1

Oh my God, that is seriously nuts, I tell ya. You know — before having kids i didn't even know that forums existed on the net. I stayed at home with my kids for 9 years (overall) — Cause mine are all 2 years apart from each other (almost exactly — as all born in October), so I remember as soon as one became a toddler and I stopped breastfeeding, I was already pregnant with another one. Even though I had a nanny to help, my husband insisted on me staying at home with them. He didn't really like the idea of me going back to work. I liked it a lot obviously — as they are my kids, but it was mentally boring sometimes and being amongst other British moms was like a Japanese torture. The same conversations day in day out — about who has a better kitchen installed or a better holiday, or which school/nursery is better. I thought I was going to go crazy. That's when I started going on forums and the habit remained since then. However, these days I couldn't be like those people in your thread as my real life is just too demanding and too good. In 6 days we are going to be in Nice. This week has been truly exhausting at work, really mad. But we did so much business, which is great, as traditionally — when summer comes things in the City quieten down somewhat — as it is a holiday season you see. People don't think about investments, they relax. I sometimes find it hard to get hold of the clients on the phone for long periods during summer.
Liked: Grin
Link Complain Quote  
  Redhead
Expat


Messages: 16285
20:56 25.05.2018
Grin (25771) wrote in reply to post:
> I don't agree with that, but I understand their logic.
quoted1

I totally disagree with you — it's crap logic, but sod it — they don't know any different anyway. Their country just keeps going through cycles of totalitarian rule — revolution — then starting again. After Perestroyka and up to the beginning of 00s it was moving in the right direction, now it is all getting reversed and they are loving it. Russia reminds me of a tortoise that has been climbing the wall of democracy, climbed half way to the top, then turned over and started rolling backwards.
Link Complain Quote  
Go to the first message← Previous page
Next page →Go to the last message

Return to the list of threads


Username
Thread:
B I U S cite spoiler
Message:(0/500)
More Emoticons
        
Forums
Main discussion
En/Ru discussion new
Russian forum
Users online
Translate the page
Figure skating, ballet, music etc 2. Best comment about recent urgent proposal to raise age limit to seniors from 15 to 17 I ...
.
© PolitForums.net 2019 | Our e-mail:
Mobile version